Gamle Bybro - The Old Town Bridge - was first built on this site in 1681. At the same time, Kristiansten Fort was under construction.
A sentry and excise house stood at either end of the bridge. The excise house on the west side is still standing and is in use as a kindergarten. The Old Town Bridge is also known under the nickname "Lykkens Portal", which means "Portal of Happiness".